Don’t forget to submit your quality photos of your beautiful Canadian Horses. We are still looking for more photo submissions in the running to be our new CHHAPS “poster horse”. The deadline for submission is May 31, so is coming up quickly!
Although we have had several really gorgeous photos submitted thus far, we are still hoping to get more submissions of awesome photos of CHHAPS member-owned Canadian Horses. The chosen winner of the photos that have been submitted will be front and centre on the new roll-up banner displays that we will be ordering to use in the CHHAPS booth at major horse expositions across North America.
It is not too late to submit! Keep in mind that May is often the most photogenic month for our lovely Canadians. Foals have been born and are adorably cute. Winter coats have shed out and the horses are looking their very best – sleek, slick and shiny! Spring has arrived and with this, beautiful, picturesque backdrops. So don’t forget to either get out your own cameras, or enlist the services of your local photographer in order to set up your photo shoot and take advantage of this most photogenic time of year!
The requirement is that the photo be of a horse that is owned by a current CHHAPS member (brand new members are welcome to submit), and that it meet the criteria outlined below.
The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges composed of CHHAPS members.
1. Must be owned by a current CHHAPS member.
2. Must be clean and well groomed. No dirt or mud.
3. Should have free flowing mane and tail (no braids), showing the natural beauty of the horse but not obscuring its face.
4. Should be wearing minimal to no tack. No bridles. No halters (especially nylon ones). A nice, discreet leather halter which is unobtrusive may be considered.
5. Can either be an action shot with the horse in motion or a still pose.
6. Ideally would be either a front on view of the horse or a ¾ shot (eg most of head, neck and body). However a full face shot or other configurations will also be considered.
7. Should take up as much of the frame as possible. The need for minimal cropping must be minimal.
8. Should be shown against a clear uncluttered background which is photogenic (eg sky, pasture). No old buildings, vehicles, falling down fences or barbed wire. Please – NO piles of mud and manure!
1. Is going to be enlarged many times so must be the best quality possible. Should ideally be a minimum of 5-10 MB (5000-10,000 KB). Ones lower than this may be considered. At the very minimum, it should be at least 1 MB however be aware that anything this size or less will likely not enlarge or reproduce well.
2. If taken by a professional photographer, you must have permission for its use granted by the photographer, PRIOR to submission.
3. Must be perfectly focused, especially on the face. Absolutely NO blurry or even slightly blurry photos please.
4. The lighting must be such that the entire horse is visible. If a photo of a black horse, there must be some definition on it, not just a black blob. It must have good exposure and contrast – not so dark you cannot see any definition on the horse, or so light that either the horse or background is completely washed out.
5. Ideally it will be taken in portrait orientation (thus as tall and narrow as possible). As an example, it should be shaped like this:
6. If taken in landscape orientation , it will have to have been done with a very high quality camera with large MP capacity. Otherwise, when cropped to fit, too much definition and pixels will be lost.
7. The banner size is 33 inches wide by 78 inches tall. So the photo must be narrow and long. Keep in mind these banners are large! For an idea of approximate size, they will be the size of a typical inside house door. So obviously the photograph must be very clear, “pop” with color and of very good quality in order to stand being blown up to this size.
8. The following are rough mock ups of the banner (with no formatting or artistic design applied) simply to give an idea of the configuration, size and shape of the photo required.
How to submit:
The photo(s) can be uploaded to the CHHAPS Yahoo group photo sharing site:
If you are a CHHAPS member but are not a member of the CHHAPS Yahoo Group, click here to request to join.
If you are not sure how to upload your photo or are technologically challenged, you can email to Yvonne at email@example.com and she can explain how to do it, or else upload it for you.
We are looking forward to lots more wonderful submissions. Be sure to get your photos in before May 31st!